Buck up! Wolf on campus today

by Kelly Sander

When Buck needed a home, Kenneth De Nault was there. They havebeen “best friends” for eight out of 10 years of Buck’s life. The110-120 lb. wolf tags along with De Nault quite a bit.

De Nault races a Formula Mazda, an open-wheeled car, and Buckgoes to all the racetracks but one. While he and his daughter racedin the 32nd Annual Budweiser Night before Indy Race, Buck watchedfrom the announcer’s booth.

“He is the only wolf I know with his own ESPN Sports passcomplete with a paw and nose print,” said De Nault.

Emerman met De Nault at UNI last November when he lectured on”Deforestation, arsenic, and the self-organizing jungle in theTerai region of Nepal.”

“He has a wolf that he takes to school everyday,” said SteveEmerman, assistant professor of geology.

De Nault asked if Emerman if he wanted to see his wolf.Impressed by Buck, Emmerman thought it would be interesting to havehim visit Simpson College.

The response from the student body has been larger than Emermanhad expected. “I didn’t realize there’d be so many people who’dwant to see a wolf.”

“I am excited to see the wolf,” said junior Kim Dillon. “I thinkit is important for the students to get hands on experience withthe wildlife that is important to them.

Buck will make an appearance for students in EcologySeminar.

“I think Buck relates in many ways with the Biology Seminarclass,” said Dillon. “Just in the fact that he gives all of us moreof a knowledge base about wolves is great.”

DeNault said Buck has visited with over 110,000 children,including children who have been abused.

“Because of Buck’s background we try to bring a message of hopeto those who have suffered injustices,” said De Nualt. “He is veryeffective, particularly with junior high girls.”

Though Buck has affected many people, De Nault believes thatwolves belong in the wild.

“I would hope people understand that wolves should be in thewild and not pets,” said De Nault. “Wolves need lots of room andthey provide insight into ourselves.”

Students may pet Buck, however, it is important to approach himin a controlled manner. Those who are around him should remaincalm, said De Nault, as his energy level will reflect those aroundhim. Loose articles of clothing such as hats, gloves and scarvesshould also not be worn.

A reception for all interested persons will be held today from3:00-5:00 p.m. in the Carver lounge. If there is not enough room inthe lounge, the reception will be moved to the atrium. Buck willalso be at Camp Lounge when Emerman lectures at 7:00 p.m. on “GiaiGoddess and the Self Organization of Nature.”