After the Storm: Simpson sports briefs

by compiled Matt Bower

Men’s Basketball

The Simpson men’s basketball team recorded another victory lastFriday as they defeated Coe 78-69. Sophomore Scott Ellens andfreshman Jason Burkhardt led the storm each scoring 14 points, acareer high for Ellens. Freshman Ryan Hittenmiller added 13 pointsas well as a career high eight rebounds off the bench.

The Storm did not fair so well on Saturday as they were defeatedby Cornell 73-69. Cornell shot nearly 55 percent in the first halfto take a 46-36 lead. Simpson mounted a comeback towards the end ofthe second half but Cornell held on for the victory. Senior JasonSnyder led Simpson with 15 points and nine rebounds. Senior DirkWalker with a season high 12. Senior Barry Moore and senior NickBoyd each had 10 points and Moore grabbed eight rebounds. After theweekend, the Storm posts an overall record of 7-9 with a 4-4conference record.

Women’s Basketball

The Simpson women’s basketball team fought a tough battleagainst Coe last Friday ending in a Storm victory 54-49. SeniorAmanda Pilcher led the Storm with 14 points, five rebounds and fourassists while junior Ashley Bogaards scored 12 points and had threesteals.

Simpson forced 37 Cornell turnovers vaulting them to an 83-43victory. Simpson allowed only 13 points in the second half, thesecond fewest Simpson has ever allowed in a game. Pilcher was againthe leading scorer with 18 points and freshman Tessa Van Oosbreetied her career high with 16 points, went 8-8 from the field andadded a game high five assists. Bogaards scored 15 points for theStorm. The Storm’s conference record rises to 7-1 while theiroverall record increases to 12-4. Simpson heads to Upper Iowa onFriday and to Luther on Saturday.

Wrestling

No. 3 Simpson went 3-1 at the IIAC Duals in Storm Lake lastSaturday. The Storm lost 22-21 to No. 8 ranked Luther in round oneof the tournament. Simpson started strong going up 8-0 afterSophomore Dustin Brewer and junior Quent Christensen won theirmatches. Junior Clint Manny added to the Storm’s effort recordinghis 17th pin of the year at 149.

Simpson defeated No. 8 ranked Coe 33-13 in round two. Brewer,Christensen and Manny (8-0) again won their matches helping get theStorm off to a good start. Sophomore Chase Weller, junior NateBroghammer (7-5), sophomore Cody Downing (7-4) and senior BartGeorge also contributed to the win.

Simpson won another close one in round three defeated #10 Loras23-22. The Storm again had a strong start with an 11-0 lead tobegin the dual. George sealed the victory for the Storm when hepinned Gabe Stratter at 2:10 of the opening period. Brewer andChristensen also contributed to the win.

Simpson ended the day with a 36-16 victory over #14 Buena Vista.The dual victory tied the Storm record for most dual wins in aseason with 23. The Storm’s overall record is 23-4 and theirconference record is 5-2.

Junior 149-pounder Clint Manny was named Iowa Conference MaleAthlete of the week. The Storm’s next duals are this Saturday atBuena Vista.

Women’s Swimming

Simpson competed in a pair of duals this past weekend. The Stormlost 103-70 to Coe on Friday. Senior Dana Kuiken won the 50freestyle (:26.55), the 100 freestyle (:58.18) and the 100breaststroke (1:11.90). Sophomore Lynette Grause finished second inthe 200 IM (2:45.49) and the 100 backstroke (1:12.79). The Stormwon its first dual since the 2001-02 season when they defeatedBuena Vista 114-67 at home on Saturday. Kuiken once again ledSimpson with three wins. Kuiken won the 50 freestyle (:29.33), the100 freestyle (1:06.42) and the 100 breaststroke (1:19.21).Freshman Amanda Rigg won the 200 freestyle (2:30.56) and was thirdin the 100 backstroke (1:24.43). The Storm’s next duals are Feb.6-7 at the IIAC Championships hosted by Coe.

Men’s Indoor Track

Simpson opened the 2004 indoor season by competing at the BuenaVista Open in Storm Lake last Saturday. There were no team scores.Junior Ross Parker won the shot put with the third longest toss inschool history, 50-0. Senior Matt Albert made his debut for theStorm winning a victory in the 55 hurdles (:8.08) while sophomoreBrian Caskey placed fifth (:8.56). Senior Aaron Keiser was third inthe pole vault (10-0), seventh in the high jump (5-9’12) and11th in the shot put (39-4). Sophomore Lance Harris was fourth inthe 3000m (9:38.72). Freshman Mike Dreyer and freshman KylePeterson were fifth (Dreyer, 20-6) and sixth (Peterson, 20-3) inthe long jump.Sophomore Chance Hinkle placed sixth in the high jump(6-0). The 4x400m relay of freshman Jason Kramme, Caskey, juniorEric Karr and Albert was second in a time of 3:31.56. The 4x200mrelay of Senior Ben Cox, Caskey, sophomore Reid Leichty and Karrfinished third (1:35.10). The Storm’s next meet is this Saturday atthe Cornell Quad.

Women’s Indoor Track

The Simpson women’s indoor track team also competed at the BuenaVista Open in Storm Lake this past Saturday.

Senior Jessica Capper won the shot put with the third longesttoss in school history, 40-4. Sophomore Jen Wendt won the 3000m ina time of 11:04.38 while freshman Erin Hunderdosse placed seventh(12:11.00). Freshman Nina Ward was fifth in the 55m (:7.79) and the200m (:28.29). Junior Sarah Merritt and freshman Kenna Wheldon werefifth (Merritt, :9.46) and sixth (Wheldon, :9.59) in the 55hurdles. Freshman Britta Johnson finished sixth in the triple jump(31-5). The 4x200m relay of Ward, Wheldon, Johnson and Merrittfinished third (1:53.57).

The Storm’s next meet is this Saturday at the Cornell Quad.