Moore works to fulfill a dream

Moore works to fulfill a dream

by Sarah Butler

While most of his fellow fourth-grade boys were honing theirvideo-game skills, John Moore was making his singing debut.

In eighth grade, when his classmates were turning to Eminen andMarilyn Mason, Moore, now a senior at Simpson, was discoveringSimon Estes during a trip to Washington D.C.

“His baritone and bass voice and quality of sound stuck in myhead,” said Moore. “I left wanting to sound that way.”

Moore is well on his way. He has won the Bill Riley Talent showat the Iowa State Fair in 2001 and received first place in hisfirst three years at the National Association of Teachers ofSinging competition.

Moore has also just finished competing in the Regional Finalsfor the Metropolitan Opera National Council and he will spend thesummer apprenticing with the Des Moines Metro Opera.

At Simpson, he has taken an active role in music productions,including this semester’s “The Seagull” and an upcoming performanceof Mendelssohn’s “Elijah”, in which Moore will play the title roleof Elijah.

“Many people have helped me become the musician that I am and Iam blessed to

have worked with some incredible people,” he said.

Moore’s first experience singing was at a varsity basketballgame at Okoboji High School. Later, as a student at Okoboji, Mooresang in all four musicals, the choir and the show choir. He alsowas chosen to sing in the All-State choir all four years of hishigh school career.

Moore credits his high school fro helping develop his voice andfor giving him encouragement.

“We were very successful during the four years I was a part ofOkoboji High School’s music department,” he said. “To this daypeople still talk about the productions our class put on. Thatreally was what inspired me to continue singing.”

He is grateful that he has gotten to share his entire experiencewith three of his good friends who also came to Simpson fromOkoboji High School and that he is very thankful for all hehas.

“Overall I have been very blessed to have been given this giftof singing from God,” said Moore. “I hope to glorify God in all thethings I do and plan to use singing my entire life.”