Same-sex marriages

by Andrew Goodell

Have you ever wondered what the specific viewpoints of Simpsonstudents are concerning same-sex marriage?

In light of President George W. Bush’s disapproval of thispractice, many students have formed their opinion on the issue.Some have decided in favor of legalized same-sex marriage, whileothers remain against it.

One student who is certainly against legalized same-sex marriageis sophomore political science major, Carl Benskin. As the chair ofStudents for Bush here on campus, Benskin agrees with Bush’s stanceon the issue.

He is against legalized same-sex marriage, because he said thathe believes marriage is a holy institution between one man and onewoman. He went on to say that the sanctity of this institution mustbe respected.

Benskin also stressed that there is a tradition of heterosexualmarriage in our country’s history.

“It’s tradition,” he said. “It’s been that way and shouldcontinue that way.”

Among the elements of Benskin’s argument against same-sexmarriage, he believes that the idea of protecting the sanctity ofthe institution is the strongest. Benskin said because this idea isable to cross religious barriers in society, it holds the mostweight.

As for the long-term effect on American society, Benskin saidthat legalizing same-sex marriage coast to coast would “continuethe degradation of our moral center.”

Benskin also believes that legalized same-sex marriage wouldhave an adverse effect on America from a legal standpoint. He saidthat if homosexual marriages were legalized, that it would open thedoor to people wanting other kinds of marriage legalized. Benskingave the acts of polygamy, bigamy and bestiality as examples ofwhat people would attempt to incorporate into the institution ofmarriage, if the same-sex version were to be legalized.

Benskin is not pleased with the fact that a handful of citymayors and judges throughout America have approved of same-sexmarriage. He said that, from a legal standpoint, they are steppingoutside their bounds and not listening to the will of thepeople.

Another Simpson student who believes that overstepping one’sbounds is involved with the same-sex marriage issue is seniorpsychology major, Rhonda Butler. As former president of the LesbianGay Bisexual Transgender Questioning Alliance, she believes thatBush’s stance on gay marriage could harm states rights to legalizesame-sex marriage.

Butler said that Bush’s view of gay marriage is narrow-mindedand “it’s just blatantly discriminatory.”

Butler believes same-sex marriage should be legal becauseAmerica is supposed to uphold the separation of church andstate.

Butler said that because there are significant benefits formarried couples in the eyes of our government, the institutionshould give equal opportunities to gay couples. She specified thatthis opportunity should be open to two consenting same sex adultsjust as it is for two opposite sex adults.

Butler said that this issue would continue to spark dialogueamong all people in the short term. As for the long term socialeffects of legalized gay marriage, Butler said that she believesthere would be very little social effect because it would be viewedas being just as ordinary as heterosexual marriage is now.

Butler said that same-sex relationships that operate verysimilar to heterosexual marriages already exist and that the issueof legalization is not new. She did, however, acknowledge that thelegalization of same-sex marriage would be a huge step for gayrights.

“I don’t think its going to become a snowball effect,” saidButler. She also said the only thing it would lead to would besame-sex married couples seeking adoption rights.