Letter to the Editor

by Lindsey Ingles, junior

Dear Editor: In years past, Simpson’s LGBTQA has participated inthe Day of Silence. As this falls during finals week, April 21, weare challenging the student body this year to take a moment tolearn about what the day signifies and then respond to it in yourown way. The Day of Silence, a project of the Gay, Lesbian andStraight Education Network (GLSEN) in collaboration with the UnitedStates Student Association (USSA), is a student-led day of actionwhere those who support making anti-LGBT bias unacceptable inschools take a day-long vow of silence to recognize and protest thediscrimination and harassment- in effect, the silencing-experienced by LGBT students and their allies. Last year, it isestimated that 1,000 schools and 100,000 students participated.Even Australian students are supporting the cause. During this day,please stay silent during your lunch. If some LGBT students canstay silent for years, please try for half an hour. During the restof the year, think about the comments you make, “calling somethinggay” can offend people, and continue to encourage a LGBT safeenvironment by supporting your LGBT friends and by attending LGBTQAevents.

We would also like to thank the student body, staff and facultyfor their wonderful support and attendance at the drag show onApril 1. The visiting students from Des Moines and Central Collegewere very impressed by the wonderful support and participation theywitnessed. Thank you!