Men’s tennis serves up two big wins

by Matt Bower

Simpson defeated Wartburg 4-3 March 30 in Indianola.Contributing to the Storm victory were senior David Venables,junior Cory Veen, junior Andrew Merrill and junior Luc Mbenoun, allposting singles victories.

The Storm swept Upper Iowa in a 7-0 victory April 3 in Pella.Winning in singles were Mbenoun, senior Garret Piklapp, Venn,Venables and freshman Marcus Bowersox. Doubles victories wereposted by senior Sam Skalland and Merrill, Venables and Veen andBowersox and Piklapp.

Martin leads golf to No. 13 Augustana

Men’s golf finished No. 13 with a team total of 618 at theAugustana Invitational April 2-3 in Rock Island, Ill. A total of100 golfers were entered in the event.

Leading the Storm was junior Mike Martin, who tied for ninthwith three others shooting 146, and senior Matt Zeller, who shot153 to place 38th.

Simpson softball sweeps competition

No. 19 Simpson opened Iowa Conference action by sweeping CornellApri l 3 in Mt. Vernon.

The Storm defeated the Rams 5-3 in the opener. Junior TuesdaeBailey led the Storm going 3-3 with an RBI. Senior MichelleMontgomery went 2-4 with a double and two RBI’s. Sophomore BradiSmith improved to 10-0 on the year by striking out 10 over thefirst five innings.

Simpson came away with a decisive victory in the nightcap 7-2.Senior Sarah Kahler went 3-3 with an RBI and two walks. JuniorJacki Dougherty tossed a complete game three hitter, striking outfive.

Baseball slugs competition, wins pair of doubleheaders

Simpson swept Carleton March 31 in Northfield, Minn. The Stormwon the opener 14-5. Storm lead off hitter senior Grant Fjetlandwas 3-4 with two triples and four RBI’s. Senior Chris Beall alsowent 3-4 with two runs scored and senior Mike Donnenwerth was 2-4with a homerun and three RBI’s. Senior Brett Murphy was not farbehind going 2-3 with a homer and two RBI’s. The nightcap was amuch closer game but the Storm emerged victorious 5-3 overCarleton. Senior Ben Ramsay did not allow a hit over the final twoinnings while a total of seven different Storm batters posted a hitwith Beall driving in two runs with a double.

Simpson opened Iowa Conference play with a pair of victoriesover Cornell in the doubleheader Saturday afternoon in Mt. Vernon.The Storm won the opener 10-5. Fjetland and sophomore Dusty Kaineach went 2-3 with two runs scored, Fjetland drove in two runs.

Simpson scored a school record 13 runs in the top of the secondinning as the Storm roared to a 16-6 victory in the nightcap.Juniors Dan Rieck and Troy Hatten each drove in four runs for theStorm. Along with Donnenwerth and Kain, the duo each posted twohits during the contest with Kain scoring three runs. Junior CaseyGraham went the first six innings to improve to 4-0 on the year.Graham struck out 10 and walked two.

Keiser Leads Storm to Sixth Place Finish

Simpson finished sixth at the Central Invitational Apr. 3 inPella.

Senior Aaron Keiser finished second in the decathlon scoring5,840 points, the sixth best performance in school history.Sophomore Lance Harris placed second in the 3000 steeplechase witha time of 10:18.28.

Merrit leads Simpson to Fifth Place Finish

Simpson finished fifth at the Central Invitational Apr. 3 inPella.

Junior Sarah Merrit finished fourth in the heptathlon with ascore of 3,313 points and placed third in the 100 hurdles in acareer best time of :15.67. Freshman Laura Preston placed third inthe 800m with a time of 2:28.73 while sophomore Jen Wendt finishedfourth with a time of 2:29.16. The 4x400m relay of freshman BrittaJohnson, freshman Nina Ward, Preston and freshman Erin Bone placedfourth in a time of 4:22.25.