Simpson greeks in no rush to ‘rush’

Simpson greeks in no rush to rush

by Katey Wright

For several years, recruitment week has taken place the sameweek classes began. However, this year’s recruitment won’t takeplace until tomorrow.

The reason behind this change was to allow freshmen time to getsettled and to learn about Simpson’s Greek community.

“We [got] a lot of feedback last year from women and men sayingit was too busy to have recruitment right when school started,”said Jennie Cisar, assistant director of student activities forGreek Life and Leadership. “We really wanted to make it the bestexperience for students on campus.”

Although the dates have changed, all other aspects ofrecruitment have remained the same according to Cisar.

Some of the Greek houses are going to be showing videos, playinggames and having alumni speak.

The women will visit all four sororities on the Friday to get ageneral feel for the chapters. Saturday, they will visit threechapters. On Sunday, they will pick two to visit.

On the other hand, the men will visit all the fraternitiesFriday and Saturday, and by invitation, they will attend Sundaynight’s events at a fraternity.

“After the second night, each chapter goes through everythingand decides who they want to become part of their brotherhood,”said Evan Schaefer, vice president for recruitment of theInterfraternity Council.

The invitations are taken to each hopeful and he attends thatchapter’s event of the evening. Bidding takes place on the finalnight.

“After the parties end, that’s when the real fun begins,”Schaefer said.

For sororities, the procedure for recruitment is quitedifferent.

Amanda Springer, vice president of recruitment for thePanhellenic Council, said that women were able to sign up forrecruitment through the first week of school.

After two nights of visiting the different sorority houses, thewomen will go to the two houses they are most interested injoining.

The mutual selection process for each house begins after thefinal night, after which the women receive their bids.

“It seems like a lot of fun, and I’ve heard a lot of good thingsabout it,” freshman Sara Westfall said.

However, there are also those students who haven’t decided ifthey want to be part of the Greek life.

“As of right now I’m undecided on joining a fraternity,”freshman Paul Steeve said. “I know if I do, I’ll be sure to makelife long friendships and have a great college experience, so it’sa definite possibility.”

The Greek community accounts for 27 percent of the studentpopulation