Single-gender halls going the way of the dodo at Simpson

by Becka Neary

For the first time in Simpson College history, Kresge and Barkerwill be coed residence halls. Such decision will take into effectin the fall of 2005.

“The changes to Kresge and Barker have been implied for awhile,”said Stephanie Krauth, associate dean of students.

Kresge and Barker, built in 1949 and 1954 respectively, weredesigned for single gendered living, and have remained that waysince then.

According to Mandy Fox, director of residence life, “thedecision to go coed is by necessity as well as by design.”

The goal to achieve with this decision is to hold 400 beds andeliminate temporary housing.

“It became natural to add an addition to Barker and move allfirst-year students to that area of campus,” Krauth said. “For thepast 15 years, lounges in Picken have been turned into rooms.”

Reactions to the cohabitation of Kresge and Barker have receivedmixed feelings from the students.

“It will make parents feel uncomfortable,” said senior KevinPitzen. “Students won’t have choices or options in their housingassignments.”

Along with uneasiness, there are also some others who think thiscould benefit the student body.

Sophomore Amanda Mulholland said “it is a good idea forseparation of first-year [students] and upperclassmen.”

However, students are not the only ones who seem to be concernedwith this resolution.

“[The Office of] Admissions has had some concerns about externalmarket,” Krauth said.

This new resolution will not only affect Kresge and Barker, butalso Picken Hall and Worth House.

Nonetheless, Picken and Worth House will serve to house mostlyupper division students. Picken will become an additional option,besides of Buxton, for those students wanting to live in a suitestyle room.

On the other hand, Worth House will become an internationalprogram house. The main purpose for doing so is to provide studentswho are learning a foreign language with a friendly environmentwhere they can develop their language skills and their appreciationof other cultures.

Junior Heather Anderson, who is majoring in German, Spanish andSecondary Education, is excited about this new house. “This is thegreatest thing,” Anderson said. “We tried to organize a foreignlanguage theme house last year but things fell through.”

Students returning from studying abroad or leaving for abroadtrips, foreign language assistants and international students willalso be able to live in this house.

This international program house is similar to the Cross RoadsHouse at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota.

Even though some people are probably shocked with the decisionof making the residence halls coed, other campuses in Iowa, such asLuther College and Drake University, have already adopted this coedsystem for their dormitories.