Transfer student numbers similar to past years

by Kate Wall

This spring Simpson welcomed 22 new transfer students to campus.

According to Director of Transfer Students Gwen Schroder, this is a typical number of spring transfers.

“Fall is the more traditional time to transfer,” Schroder said. “People are more inclined to change then.”

There were 85 new transfer students who came to campus in the fall. Transfer students usually make up 18-20 percent of the new-student enrollment for the academic year.

The reasons why students transfer vary for each case.

“It could be a change of major, location of the school, size of the school, a friend, or boyfriend or girlfriend,” Schroder said. “Students also transfer because of a specific athletic program.”

Sophomore Kelsey McKimpson spent a semester at the University of Iowa before transferring to Simpson last spring. She’s following in her father’s footsteps – he also went to the University of Iowa for a semester before transferring to and graduating from Simpson.

“I really liked [University of] Iowa at first, but around Thanksgiving I thought it might not be the place for me,” McKimpson said. “I didn’t like a big school.”

Simpson offered McKimpson an alternate atmosphere.

“The students are different here – a lot more friendly,” McKimpson said. “At Iowa everyone stares at the ground [as people walk by].”

Readmitted sophomore Clint Marsden returned to Simpson for a different reason.

“I came back because of the size, and I already knew the professors and a lot of students,” Marsden said. “All my credits transferred to Rutgers [University] but I would have had to retake my journalism classes. I loved it out East but I’m glad to be back.”

Transfer students, like new freshmen, have an opportunity to meet each other and orient themselves to campus.

McKimpson said she and other new transfers got together in Dirlam Lounge one evening soon after arriving on campus.

“We listened to a few presentations on different Simpson programs like the Lilly Initiative and others and learned about ways to get involved on campus,” McKimpson said.

According to Schroder, the previous college experience transfer students have means Simpson takes a different approach during their orientation.

“Many prospective students want to make sure their credits will transfer,” Schroder said. “The expectations of transfer students are different. They are more savvy; they already know what college is.”