Cast of ‘really funny’ play ready to perform

by Tia Nearmyer

He’s dating one woman, wants another woman but falls in love with yet another. This isn’t the dating style of most men on campus, but sophomore Zach Leiser is an exception to the rule.

Leiser plays the lead role in Simpson Theatre’s production of “The Man of Mode,” and it’s fair to say his character “gets around.”

Leiser admits he has similarities with his character, but there are also a few differences.

“I’m also a huge fan of the ladies, but I wouldn’t go as far to say that I’m a slut like my character, Dorimant,” Leiser said. “Unlike my character, I usually try to stick with the 1ong relationships.”

“The Man of Mode” will debut March 4 at 7:30 p.m. in Blank Performing Arts Center.

The play has a soap-opera feel to it.

“It’s about the pursuit of love with lots of little side stories,” Director Jennifer Nostrala said. “It involves battle of the sexes with simultaneous pursuits of love and pleasure.”

Throughout the play, three women are under the love spell of Dorimant.

“It’s really ironic and really funny,” Leiser said.

“The Man of Mode” was first performed in 1676 in England, but that date shouldn’t scare anyone away. Those involved with the play say it’s both contemporary and entertaining.

“It’s a brilliant play,” Nostrala said. “It’s both funny and cutting and has an interesting edge.”

This version, adapted from the original by George Ethridge, may come as a shock to the audience.

“Students should come because it’s not every day you see a Restoration play,” said sophomore Julie Soukup, sound undergraduate assistant. “It has a very funny, contemporary twist.”

However, those involved in the play are making an effort to keep that twist under wraps in order to surprise the audience.

Currently, preparations are being made for opening night. Nostrala said the guest light designer arrived on Wednesday and the crew is finalizing the cast’s costumes and makeup.

“Everything is starting to come together,” Nostrala said. “Costumes are being made [and] makeup is being touched up.”

Alpha Psi Omega, the theatre honorary, is putting the final touches on its contribution to the production, too. The group will sponsor a dinner theatre on Saturday, March 6. The $25 tickets include dinner in the Mathew Simpson Room in College Hall and the actual performance.

It has been a very fast-paced and long road for the cast and crew. Auditions were held the first week of class and rehearsals began the next week.

Still, Nostrala said the cast and crew are able to handle the pressure with grace.

“We rehearse 15-20 hours a week, but it’s been great fun working on this show,” Nostrala said. “The whole cast and crew has been doing amazing work.”

Tickets for the play and dinner theatre are currently available by contacting the box office.