MSA dance ends Black History Month with a ‘bang’

MSA dance ends Black History Month with a bang

by Tia Nearmyer

Afro-Caribbean, Latin and hip-hop music played in the background while junior Isabel Howell-Stephens danced the night away with fellow Multicultural Student Alliance members.

MSA hosted a dance in BSC on Saturday, Feb. 26, to celebrate Black History Month.

“The purpose of the dance is really just our way of trying to bring our campus together to end Black History Month with a bang,” MSA Co-president Howell-Stephens said.

The organization has worked throughout the month to make students more aware of African American culture. The dance and other events this month were designed to be a celebration of African American culture as well as other cultures in general.

The dance, called ‘A Night of Dancing’ this year, is usually held the last weekend in February. It has become an annual event for MSA, and this was the third year the group organized it.

“We wanted to heighten the awareness that it’s Black History Month and include something people would like to do,” Ashley Finestead, MSA’s public relations manager, said.

Simpson students received flyers in their mailboxes and MSA sent e-mails about the dance. There was also an announcement about the dance at the basketball game on Saturday night.

MSA members were hoping word of mouth would also encourage students to attend their event.

Howell-Stephens estimated that 30 to 40 people came to the dance.

But, Howell-Stephens said, the size of the crowd doesn’t matter – the members of MSA will keep organizing events.

Junior Alayna Kissinger was there for her second Black History Month dance.

“It doesn’t really have anything to do with Black History Month, but it’s a good way to help people interact with each other,” Kissinger said.