Greeks try low-frills approach to recruit new members

by Kelli Herzberg

Fraternities and sororities at Simpson are making themselves more accessible to the student population this year in preparation for Greek recruitment.

Junior Liz Van Hook, panhellenic council vice president of recruitment, said members have been sitting at a recruitment table in Pfeiffer Dining Hall every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to answer questions about the Greek system.

“It really helps all the people who are Greek get out of their houses and get up on campus,” said sophomore Zach Rus, interfraternity council vice president of recruitment. “We’re putting ourselves out there and making an effort to really get to know the incoming students.”

Another change for recruitment is that Simpson’s sororities have adopted a policy called low frills.

“Low-frills recruitment is more focused on values than traditional recruitment,” Van Hook said. “During low frills-recruitment, chapters use minimal decorations and focus more on having meaningful conversations … Low-frills recruitment is designed so that the women going through recruitment walk away with a clear understanding of what our sororities on campus are about.”

One other major change to Greek recruitment is when it’s taking place. Instead of some of the events transpiring on a weekend like they have in the past, recruitment will be held entirely during the week this year.

Rus said the changes are good because they help new students learn about the Greek system right away.

“Recruitment for the men this year has become a lot more involved,” Rus said. “Being a sophomore I know that if guys from the fraternities would’ve come to me then I would have been a lot more likely to join sooner.”

With a lot of importance, time and effort being placed on recruitment, new recruits seem to be the goal for both the fraternities and sororities, something that is vital for survival.

“Recruitment is important, however, good recruitment is crucial,” Rus said. “Simpson College Greek life relies on good recruits to be the future of the community. If we didn’t recruit new members our houses would eventually die and there would not be a Greek system anymore.”

Jennie Cisar, director of Greek affairs, said the trend of changes has been good overall.

“Several years ago, recruitment took place as soon as school started, not leaving students with much time to make the life-long decision that joining a fraternity or sorority is,” Cisar said. “[Now] we’re allowing new students the time and opportunity to make a good decision regarding Greek life.”