Homecoming events successful, student-body president says

by Amy Hubner

Homecoming 2005 brought students together to show their school spirit.

Senior and student government president Dan Carver enjoyed his last Homecoming at Simpson.

“My favorite part was Yell Like Hell,” Carver said. “The routines were really good this year, and there was a large and excited crowd. It’s really rewarding to put in a lot of time, effort and hard work into organizing something and then have it go so well.”

Online voting for the Homecoming court increased from 25 percent last year to 40 percent this year.

“Hopefully in the future these numbers will continue to rise and students will become more active in all of Homecoming and its events,” Carver said.

A number of activities took place, including the kickoff, street painting, Olympics, skit competition, Yell Like Hell and the Homecoming coronation.

The Storm Chasers sponsored a powder-puff football game as well as the car painting and smashing, which was new this year.

Carver and senior Joe Tebbe were named king and queen. According to Carver, Homecoming week was better than it ever has been in the past – and not because he won.

“We’ve decorated the campus and started a spirit committee, the Storm Chasers have added new events and the quality of the events have gotten better,” Carver said. “There is still a ways to go before Homecoming week is the big deal that we want it to be, but we’ve definitely come a long way.”

The activities throughout the week are designed to give students the opportunity to take pride in their school and get involved.

“I think Homecoming goes beyond winning the football game,” Carver said. “It’s intended to build up spirit and pride. So the success of Homecoming week really determines the pride and connection that students feel with the school.”

Many other students were pleased with the outcome of the events as well.

“Homecoming brings everyone who is willing to participate together and encourages them to get involved,” junior Kaela Phillips said.

Phillips is the student body vice president as well as a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Her sorority tied for first place at Yell Like Hell.

“This is a great activity because it motivates and challenges the participants to work together,” Phillips said. “The theme was easy to work with this year, so I think everyone had a great time.”

Sophomore Katie Nichols was disappointed with all the hype.

“Everything was the same as last year,” Nichols said. “All the events seemed repetitive. They were still a good time, but changing it up from year to year would be nice.”