Food for the Soul draws large crowd with home cooking

by Abbie Crane

Many students complain about the food served on campus. These students should check out Food for the Soul for home-cooked meals.

Local churches and organizations serve a real home-cooked meal at Food for the Soul every week to Simpson students who attend the event.

The church or organization brings the food and discusses with the students what they do, plus any other conversation the students want to have with them. It is a good way for students to learn about organizations and churches in the Indianola community.

Junior Krista Guillaume attends the event every week. She said it was an easy way for her to get involved her freshman year and has been going ever since.

“When I started coming as a freshman, I really wanted to get involved somewhere,” Guillaume said. “That was a good place to learn about churches in the area.”

Guillaume said sometimes Simpson groups like Progressive Action Coalition and Shalom Zone come and discuss what they are doing and why.

Sophomore Liz Norton also likes learning about the different organizations and churches in the surrounding community.

“Everyone should come,” Norton said. “It’s a good way to meet people and learn about other organizations and churches.”

Guillaume said it’s a good way for students to get involved in the community.

“It tries to bring the community and Simpson students together to interact with each other,” Guillaume said.

Getting involved in the local community isn’t the only reason students attend; the free home-cooked meal is also quite tempting to most college students.

“It’s a way to see different things going on and get a yummy home-cooked meal every week,” Norton said.

Guillaume attends to learn more about the community and local churches, but admits the free food and meeting new people are other good reasons to go.

“Pfeiffer just doesn’t cut it some days,” Guillaume said.

Junior Jen Gibson is also a regular at Food for the Soul and she said it’s a good atmosphere because it doesn’t require a large commitment.

“You just show up to eat and join in on conversation with others,” Gibson said. “Plus, it’s real home-cooked food. Who can pass that up?”

Norton said it’s a good time to get away from the normal routine and just hang-out with friends while eating a great meal.

Along with the free food, many students attend for other purposes as well. Guillaume said some attend for religious purposes, but each person’s experiences is completely personal.

“[People] could just be going for the food and to see friends, or they could really be searching for a place that will further their walk with Christ,” Guillaume said.

The goal of the event is to encourage Christian fellowship. Gibson said Food for the Soul is a great way to get acquainted with the chapel, Christian Fellowship and the people involved with Christian Fellowship at Simpson.

“The goal of Food for the Soul is to provide a place of community and nourishment of body and soul for students,” Gibson said.

Gibson said she also goes because the people there are very welcoming.

“It is kind of like a home away from home,” Gibson said. “There is good food and kind people serving it to you.”

Food for the Soul has about 40-60 people each week and there are two student leaders who help out, sophomore Martha Davis and junior Shara Tibken. It is sponsored by the Religious Life Community and meets every Tuesday night at 5:30 p.m. in Dirlam Lounge.