Revived All College Sing sees more than 100 participate

by Brandon Ortale

All College Sing was held for the first time in three years in Pote Theater last Thursday.

All College Sing was started in the late 1960s to early 1970s, but the last time Simpson had an All College Sing was in the spring of 2003.

Senior James Walters helped organize this year’s event.

“We haven’t had one recently because of scheduling and we didn’t think there was interest in it,” Walters said. “We revamped it and brought it back to life.”

Others who helped revive All College Sing were the members of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Instructor of Music Tim McMillin and the staff of student development.

According to Walters, only six or seven groups participated in 2003, for the most part from Greek houses. He said this year in addition to Greek chapters, groups were organized by SGA, faculty members, residents of the apartments and Barker and Kresge Halls.

Of the 105 participants and eight teams, the overall winner of the event was Mu Phi Epsilon. As a group, the women received $200, a dinner and the All College Sing trophy.

According to sophomore Becky Evans, Mu Phi Epsilon practiced almost every day two weeks before the event for about an hour.

“I was really excited and hope they continue All College Sing, because it’s an old tradition,” Evans said. “I was happy to take part in it.”

While the group performing from the apartments didn’t practice that seriously, they still enjoyed the event.

“We [the apartments] did it just for fun,” junior Tasha Beenken said.

However, the apartments succeeded. They won the mixed-group division of All College Sing. The winning group for the men was Lambda Chi Alpha.

The judges were President John Byrd, Denise Ross Haynes, director of counseling and career services, and Melinda Hendrickson, a Simpson alumna. They judged based on style, performance and musicianship.

While the judges met, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia performed a song and skit for entertainment.

Many students went to All College Sing to watch their friends perform.

“I attended the event because some of my friends were in it and thought it would be interesting,” sophomore Heidi Yang said.

According to Ross Haynes the event was a success, and next year it could be even better.

“I really felt connected to Simpson,” Ross Haynes said.

Walters agreed that there’s a little room for improvement – especially in participation.

“I think it would help if we plan earlier next year for it,” Walters said.