Our View

Valley High School’s production of “The Laramie Project” was a bold step in the right direction. More often than not, high school theatre shows are limited to the likes of “Fiddler on the Roof” and other politically correct entertainment that’s an almost-guaranteed, non-offensive good time for any grandparents or children sitting in the audience. For a high school to take on a highly controversial issue and present it to the public with no apologies demonstrates the growing acceptance in our society today.

Of course, there are those who fail to see the production as a good thing and who took their frustrations to the lawns of Valley High School with picket signs in tow. This is something most of us never had to experience in high school or while attending a Theatre Simpson production.

Everyone has the right to speak their mind; free speech is our right as Americans and we should be exposed to many different ideas to help build character. However, with an incredibly controversial issue such as homosexuality, it’s almost impossible to propose the simple solution of just becoming more open-minded. If we would become more apt to exposing ourselves to unconventional ideas and lifestyles, then perhaps we can experience a less hateful existence-again, easier said than done. The show was sold-out all weekend and whether people attended to witness the attempted spectacle from the protestors or to watch a different kind of high school theatre production, the show succeeded in bringing in new audiences and help spread the message of tolerance.