Professors debate War on Terror

Professors debate War on Terror

by Hattie RoszellStaff Writer

A forum being presented today will provide insight for those people who’ve always wondered how their professors feel about the current War on Terror

This forum, “Debating the War on Terror,” was organized by Nick Proctor, associate professor of history, in order to bring attention to differing views on current events. The format will be a question-and-answer panel.

“The war has become more bloody, and yet, students seem not to care as much,” Proctor said. “I wanted to create a forum event that would provide a model of strenuous debate that remains collegial. Just because we disagree about policy doesn’t mean we can’t still learn from one another.”

The panel speakers include John Epperson, professor of political science; Mark Gammon, assistant professor of religion; and Eduardo Magalahaes, professor of political science. The forum takes place in Camp Lounge at 12:30 p.m.

“Nick (Proctor) put together a panel after 9-11 to discuss the impact it had on the United States,” Epperson said.

The participants will take a few minutes to present their points of view, and then the audience members will be welcome to pose their own questions and ideas. Debate is welcome, but the questions will mostly be discussed by the panel.

“(What will be discussed) can’t really be determined because it is a Q-and-A format,” Proctor said. “I chose Q-and-A because it allows students’ questions to be answered, and opposing views can be heard. I’m assuming some of the topics will be domestic politics, the United States as a global power and what the American role should be. It will be more of a discussion on moving forward.”

Not only will students learn about the ideas of their professors, but the forum will also give the professors a better idea of what students really think about terrorists and the war, something that hasn’t been expressed much in recent years.

“Post 9-11, there was a similar forum every semester, and I wanted to bring that back to the campus,” Proctor said.

In the past, Simpson has seen controversy about the war. In the spring of 2003, windows were broken, and students destroyed crosses that were planted to encourage people to think about the consequences of war.