FlipSide Face

FlipSide Face

by Hattie RoszellStaff Writer

Beth Jorgensen is the assistant professor of English at Simpson, but many refer to her as “Dr. J.” Jorgensen is originally from Storm Lake where as a young woman she aspired to be Joni Mitchell.”I wanted to be a singer/songwriter,” Jorgensen said.Before coming to Simpson, Jorgensen started out teaching at Iowa State. Jorgensen is currently in her second year at Simpson.”I love teaching here and was surprised how much I did after coming from a big university,” Jorgensen said. “One thing I truly enjoy about teaching at Simpson is that I’m starting to really know my students.”Jorgensen was a professor of writing at Iowa State. After leaving Iowa State, she received a call from Professor of English Nancy St. Clair who recommended Jorgensen for the English Department. Before coming to Simpson, Jorgensen focused on writing a novel. Outside of teaching at Simpson, Jorgensen is very interested in the wilderness and the environment. “I would live in a tent if I could,” Jorgensen said.She enjoys canoeing and tries to go at least once a month. She’s also involved with river cleanup. During May Term, Jorgensen is taking a group to live in the wilderness, stripped of all necessities. After May Term, she plans to spend the summer canoeing Raccoon River, taking photographs and writing a novel. If she wasn’t teaching, Jorgensen would love to be an “outfitter” that goes into the wilderness and writes full time.Currently, Jorgensen is involved in the “Vagina Monologues.” As the title would suggest, the “Vagina Monologues” are true stories expressing the views of women.