Students volunteer 10 hours for free tickets to Jet concert

All participants involved in 10,000 Hours come together annually for a free concert, which will be held this year at the Knapp Center at Drake University on April 11 at 7:30 p.m..

“Students who volunteer at least 10 hours of their time are able to get a free ticket to see Jet in concert,” senior Julie Soukup said.

All Simpson students can participate or volunteer in Simpson-led activities or volunteer in other organizations. As long as you are a student, you can log your hours under the Simpson effort.

Students who are involved in sorority or fraternity events or alternative spring break trips can count thir hours as service.

“My goal is to get as many students as possible to sign up and volunteer,” said Libby Ehrig, service hub volunteer in service to America and Lilly Initiative for Vocational Exploration. “I want to promote volunteering and the importance of it.”

The 10,000 Hours program has been going on for four years, and has been very successful with 3,500 volunteers and over 71,000 hours committed to local non-profit organizations.

“We have sat in Brenton Student Center, made posters and put fliers in people’s mailboxes as well as talking with people and getting people excited about the event,” Soukup said.

For this year’s concert, the band Jet is performing. Jet is known for the song “Are You Gonna Be My Girl.” In previous years, bands like Cake, Ben Folds, Wilco and Guster have volunteered their time to play for the event.

Senior Nate Nims wants to spread the word that not only is there the chance to see a free show but also gain some valuable learning experience.

“I want people to get involved and be aware of how many opportunities they have on campus to help the community,” Nims said. “Everyone has time to volunteer 10 hours and get something out of it.”