Gather ’round the study table

Gather round the study table

by Steven Alan RamseyStaff Writer

Freshmen have been found gathering around the study table in the library at all times of the day this fall. A new practice as of this year is that all freshman athletes are required to spend a certain amount of time each week at the study table.

The main focus of the new requirement is to create a more uniform and concrete ways of helping student athletes excel not only on the field, but also in the classroom.

The required study table also serves as a way for student athletes to become more familiar with the Hawley Academic Resource Center.

All freshmen athletes are required to spend five hours every week studying in the library. Upperclassmen aren’t required to do so, unless they fall under a 2.3 GPA. This has drawn mixed support from the student athletes, but it is solidly backed by the faculty.

“The implication of the study table was meant to be a more intentional, stronger way for all athletes to succeed academically,” John Epperson professor of political science said.

“The study table will enhance the study habits of athletes and create consistency, and also help eliminate the stigma of Hawley,” Kara May, assistant director of the Hawley Academic Resource Center, said.

May oversees student athletes during their study periods. She usually assists with homework and has approximately 35 tutors that help in any and all fields.

For the most part, students have a mixed view about the study table. Some view it as beneficial while others see it as somewhat of a hindrance.

“It is not bad,” freshman wrestler Caleb Hopkins said. “I usually study about an hour a day anyway. However, it is not fair when we have shorter weeks and still have to fit our five hours in.”

Hopkins doesn’t necessarily agree with the requirement that students go to the library to study.

“I would rather be able to study on my own time rather than being forced to be in the library,” Hopkins said.

Freshman basketball player Adam Carr is a student who fully supports of the study table.

“The study table is good,” Carr said. “It gets freshman into a routine, and also helps offer a way to get homework done.”

In its first year of being a requirement for freshmen, only time will tell if this study table is more beneficial than recent methods.