5 Questions with Rachel Bandy

5 Questions with Rachel Bandy

by Danielle WallingStaff Writer

Rachel Bandy, assistant professor of sociology and criminal justice, is new to the Simpson Community this year, but loving the experience, staff and campus.

“The campus is gorgeous and the faculty and staff are top-notch,” Bandy said. “Everyone is very dedicated.”

After being gone from Iowa for 11 years, Bandy and her husband decided they wanted to be closer to their families and lifelong friends, and she arrived on the Simpson campus in August after completing her Ph.D. at the University of Colorado Boulder.

Bandy fell into the field of criminal justice at the age of 19 when she took an internship at a battered women’s shelter. After not being sure criminal justice was the area she wanted to be in, she found herself working at other places dealing with crime and victims.

After receiving her master’s degree from the University of Colorado Denver, she ended up in Minnesota as the State Director for Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention. Bandy strongly recommends students take advantage of opportunities in college to try out different career fields.

“I encourage students 100 percent to job shadow or intern,” Bandy said. “You never know what it’s going to lead to.”

Bandy also has some general advice.

“Don’t turn down an opportunity even if you’re not sure it’s for you,” Bandy said. “You never know who you’ll meet.”