How to: Sleep on campus, housing units excluded

by Rachel GullStaff Writer

How many times this school year have you woken up and trudged to class through waist-high snowdrifts, falling branches and hurricane-like winds only to discover a tiny cancellation notice on your classroom door?

You want to go back to your room and hibernate until May Term, but your next class is taught by the Abominable Snowman, and you know that he’ll be there. So what do you do with your extra hour?

You could walk all the way back to your room, change your dripping wet clothes, and have enough time for a five minute power-nap before you have to wake up, bundle up again, and then trudge back to your class.

However, in this time, you could have simply walked to a convenient on-campus napping site and spent 45 minutes in blissful sleep. These sites are available no matter where you are on campus, and I’ve scouted them extensively to help you find the best napping site for you.

1.) The library This is the ultimate place to sleep. Everyone is super-quiet, and the library even provides the lull of flowing water to calm you and bring you sweet dreams.

The library also offers the sleeper a variety of locations to choose from. Across from the check-out desk, there are comfy couches and armchairs that are perfect for a doze. This location is nice, because the angry glares of the librarians keep people from playing jokes on you.

However, this location is problematic, because the angry glares of the librarians could discourage you from even starting your nap. For you librarian conscious types, there are some more private places to nap.

If you walk all the way back, past the reference computers, the CD and movie collection, the periodicals, and the music scores, you will discover an alcove with two comfortable couches. This is one of the best places to nap on campus, because you have privacy and comfort, although an office is right next to you, the people inside are generally unconcerned with sleepers.

This prime area is usually totally deserted, but if someone is already there, realize that sometimes you must deal with people rationally. Feel free at this time to pull the fire alarm. When the squatters run outside, you may rationally assume that they didn’t feel like napping and begin yours.

The drawback to library napping is the absolute silence imposed upon you. For instance, if you are one of those people who snores or holds intense conversations in your sleep, then the library is not for you.

2.) The practice rooms in the music building These tiny rooms are the ultimate for private sleepers. Not only do you get two pianos all to yourself, you can also get serenaded by a tuba, opera singer and violin at the same time.

These rooms come equipped with a full-length mirror, so after your nap, you can check for drool and sleepy-dust before going to your next class.

The practice rooms don’t have any bedding, however, so you might find it necessary to stow a sleeping bag and pillow in your favorite practice room. In order to ensure that no one moves into your room, turn the lights on and place music books on one of the pianos. This will fool music majors and professors into believing that someone was practicing and will return soon.

In fact, if this works well, you may decide to move in permanently. Even if you have a futon and fridge in your practice room, as long as music books are visible on the piano, no one will notice anything strange.

3.) The couches in the BSC These couches are well-cushioned and allow you to practically sink into them. Also, each couch is long enough to stretch out. Unless you’re a center for the basketball team, you should be pretty comfortable.

Unfortunately, the BSC is a very busy place and noise levels are often distracting. If this is the case, hold your hands over your ears and hum until you fall asleep. (I-pods work as well.)

If people sit on you or play not-very-pleasant jokes on you, realize that they probably want to sleep too. Walk them over to another couch and tuck them in. If they seem restless and try to get up, hold your hands over their ears and hum until they fall asleep.

These are just a few of the best places to sleep on campus. Other prime locations include Hopper Gym, the Small Chapel, and the Commuter Lounge.

But, wherever you nap, realize that any criticism you receive stems only from people’s jealousy and crabbiness. These are directly resulting from overtiredness. When people find fault with your napping, give them a big hug and walk them to a napping site. They will thank you later.