Greek recruitment is near

Greek recruitment is near

by Austin BatesStaff Writer

Greek recruitment for Simpson is right around the corner. Formal recruitment will be held Sept. 14-18 for the three sororities and four fraternities on campus.

Chapters have been working throughout the summer to prepare for the event, and members say they’re excited for the process to begin.

“The recruitment atmosphere is one of excitement and anticipation,” Maren Landers, co-vice president of Panhellenic recruitment said.

Recruitment is open to all Simpson students. According to Lindsey Hunzelman, assistant director of student activities who oversees the recruitment process, anyone with the slightest interest should participate.

“Recruitment is a really good way for students to find out if Greek life is something that they’re interested in,” she said.

Landers agreed, citing the process as a way to meet people both in and outside of the Greek system.

“This event is a great opportunity for freshman and transfers to meet other people, not only in the Greek community, but their peers as well,” Landers said.

Formal recruitment for Simpson’s three sororities begins Sunday, Sept. 14 with an open house and tours of all three houses. Events continue on Monday and Wednesday, with bids distributed on Wednesday night after recruitment activities have finished.

The fraternities will be holding an informational night on Monday, Sept. 15, and the formal recruitment process will begin Tuesday. Fraternity bids will be handed out on Thursday evening.

Mauricio Marquez, co-vice president of recruitment for the interfraternity council considers joining a fraternity one of the best decisions he’s made while at Simpson.

“It has turned out to be one of the greatest experiences I have ever had,” Marquez said. “I’m a strong believer that it provides men and women a strong home away from home.”

Marquez said Greek life also provides life-long friends, opportunities to get involved with campus organizations and charities, and networking ties to Greek alumni.

While he admitted that some days can be stressful, Marquez said it is well worth it in the end.

“It’s a learning experience, and in the end, the bonds that you make with guys, or girls, is forever,” he said.

Landers agreed.

“I love it,” she said. “I don’t think college would have been the same experience for me as it is right now.”

Landers said she hopes even those who don’t plan to join a chapter consider going through recruitment.

“Our houses on campus are not your stereotypical Greek houses,” she said. “Students might find themselves joining a house even though they had not planned to.”

Sophomore Hope Schissler participated in formal recruitment last year. Although she didn’t join a sorority, Schissler said it was a worthwhile experience.

“I thought it was a lot of fun,” she said. “I met a lot of girls in the different houses and in my recruitment class that I probably would not have otherwise.”

Hunzelman said that approximately 100 students participate in recruitment each year. Students can register in the BSC or online.