FlipSide Face

by Emily BeckmannStaff Writer

Clint Meyer, assistant professor of biology and environmental science, admits that he is becoming known as “the bug guy” around campus.

“Everyone always asks me, ‘why bugs?'” Meyer said. “Well, as a biologist, the diversity and abundance of the insects and how they interact with every aspect of living things are really interesting to me. They are an important aspect of all living things.”

Meyer, originally from Pilger, Neb., has been interested in entomology, the study of insects, for quite some time. Thus, making it easy for him to pick out his favorite insect of them all, the 17-year cicada.

“These things live in the ground, feeding on roots for 17 years and you never see them,” Meyer said. “Then they all come out of the ground at once. It’s just impressive. Plus, they’re black with little red beady eyes so they’re pretty cool looking too.”

While Meyer is quite fond of insects, he also understands that others may not have the same feeling.

“If people freak out I laugh at first and then I try to explain whether or not it’s [the insect] something to worry about,” Meyer said. “People only see insects in their houses as creepy crawlers but they don’t think about the other functions that these insects serve like pollination, decomposition and millions of other things.”

When Meyer isn’t teaching at Simpson he enjoys other things such as hunting, fishing, hiking, eating his favorite foods (popcorn and garlic stuffed green olives) and listening to music.

“Music is a big hobby,” Meyer said. “I like all kinds of music. I really like classic country like Waylon Jennings; it’s the best of the best. I also like to play the guitar and sing. I pretty much taught myself, which is why I kind of stink.”

Meyer has enjoyed his time on the Simpson campus and was initially drawn to the school because it was a good combination for him professionally and personally.

“I think Simpson is unique because of the research and international travel opportunities,” Meyer said. “It’s a good place to be as a student and as a professor.”

Meyer’s students, such as senior Brooke Irlmeier, have enjoyed having him as a professor.

“He has a very dry sense of humor, which I enjoy a lot,” Irlmeier said. “He brings a lot of entertainment to the classroom, and he’s really intelligent. Oh, and he likes bugs.”

At whatever stage Simpson students find themselves, Meyer offers Simpson students the following advice.

“Enjoy those college years, whatever that means for you,” Meyer said. “Although everyone wants to get done with the tests and the classes, you will miss the student lifestyle and the freedom that goes along with it.”