Vagina Monologues brings awareness to Simpson

by Alicia CarloStaff Writer

A group of Simpson students are bringing awareness of domestic violence to campus through “The Vagina Monologues” this weekend.

Performances will take place Friday, March 27 and Saturday, March 28 at 7 p.m. in Camp Lounge.

“The Vagina Monologues” is a part of the V-Day college campus campaign to stop violence against women, according to a pamphlet produced for the performances. Simpson first presented the play in 2007.

“The Vagina Monologues” was written by Eve Ensler after she interviewed 200 women about sex, relationships and violence. It has been performed throughout the world as a way to ‘celebrate the vagina’ and empower women.

Simpson’s performance is normally coordinated by a senior women’s studies major or minor this year seniors Josie Rundlett and Chelsea Donison are co-producing the show.

Rundlett is a political science major who joined the Vagina Monologues in 2007 after talking to one of the producers.

“The first time I was in it, I was surprised by the depth of the monologues,” Rundlett said.

While the range of the monologues varies from celebratory to sad, all are meant to be thought provoking. This is exemplified in the fact that the night will include monologues from around the world, such as those that focus on Japanese women in World War II and Middle Eastern women.

“It’s good to focus on more than just American women,” Rundlett said.

There are 26 people involved as performers, as well as five male ushers.

Freshman Jess Drobot said she chose to participate because the show sends a powerful message.

“I think it’s a very important cause, women’s violence,” Drobot said.

Drobot said that although some people may be nervous about going to the show because of the title and the subject matter, the its funny moments and important cause will make for a good show.

Drobot will perform a monologue entitled, “I Was There in the Room.” It is a reflective process by Ensler about a grandson’s birth. Although it is graphic, Drobot said that it is important and that “in the end it has a good point.”

There will also be a silent auction held before the performance both nights. The money raised will go to V-Day International.

According to Rundlett, last year’s auction raised $3,000.

SOPHIA members have helped out with this portion of the event by approaching businesses in Indianola and Des Moines for gift cards and products.

Planned Parenthood is also helping to sponsor the performance. They have printed posters, programs and table tents for the event.

The silent auction will precede the show at 6 p.m.

Tickets for the event are available at the door, and a $5 donation is suggested.

“We don’t want to deter anyone, especially students,” Rundlett said.

Rundlett and Drobot encourage everyone to attend the performances to gain insight and to have a good time.

“Many women will find it hysterical and men shouldn’t be afraid to come either,” Drobot said.