Writers display talent

Writers display talent

by Kati HerrStaff Writer

On Oct. 6 the Creative Writing Reading Series had their kick-off event with a reading by four creative writers from the Simpson College community.

Angela Glover, visiting professor of English and a composition specialist, started the series with sophomore student coordinators Tierney Israel and Meagan Gamble to provide an opportunity for the creative writers at Simpson to showcase their work.

“I’ve discovered some extremely talented creative writers here on the Simpson campus,” Glover said.

Glover said that after attending an event for the Sequel last year where students read their work aloud she felt that Simpson needed a forum in which creative writers could showcase their creative works on a regular basis.

“I’ve run Writers’ Readers in both Nebraska and Kansas and found that readings seem to bring out the best in people since the written word allows us to connect as it comes to life when read out loud,” Glover said.

Glover is a creative writer herself and recognized the need for a safe environment in which creative writers at Simpson can share their work.

“Simpson Creative Writing Reading Series provides an opportunity for Simpson students and faculty to read their original works of fiction, creative-nonfiction and poetry in a monthly public forum,” Glover said.

In addition to serving as one of the student coordinators for the Creative Writing Reading Series, Israel was also one of the first readers for the program. Israel said she had a very positive experience with the event and would gladly read for future events.

“I like being able to share my work with people and hear their questions and be able to explain my work to them,” Israel said.

David Wolf, associate professor of English and chair of the English Department, was also among the readers for the October event. Wolf is an established poet who has published three poetry collections and won various awards for his work. Wolf said he had a great experience with the Creative Writing Reading Series.

“It is a great idea, and I hope it continues beyond this year,” Wolf said.

Wolf commented that the talent of the creative writers in Simpson’s student body as well as in the staff and faculty is abundant and he hopes that writers will be brave enough to share their work at this public forum.

“This is not a stuffy affair,” Wolf said. “It is a very welcoming environment.”

Israel also encourages the Simpson community to get involved with the Creative Writing Reading Series.

“This is a great way for people to share their work in a safe environment,” Israel said.

Glover said that the coordinators are looking for creative writers from the student body, staff, faculty and even alumni who would like to share their creative works.

“These readings are meant to support creative writing which is not a major here at Simpson, but is actively pursued by students and faculty in all disciplines,” Glover said.

The next readings will be held on Tuesday Nov. 10 and Tuesday Dec. 8 with readings from several students and professors.

Readers are needed for the December reading and for second semester readings. If interested, contact Angela Glover at [email protected].