Victorious Saturday for Simpson Soccer

by Haley Christensen

Simpson’s men’s and women’s soccer teams faced off against Buena Vista at Buxton Stadium Saturday afternoon. Both games ended in impressive wins for the Storm. The women’s score ended at a 5-0 blowout and the men’s game kept up the tradition and ended with a score of 2-0.

In the women’s game they racked up their fifth win on Saturday making a 5-5 record so far this year.

With impressive plays by all the members of the team, sophomore midfielder Nicole Dillenburg, 2008 First-Team All-Conference selection, came to the game to win and scored the first two goals for the Storm. That makes it the fourth multi-goal match of her career.

“I just went out there and did the best I could,” Dillenburg said.

The first goal set the pace for the entire game when Dillenburg made it only 1:55 into the first half.

“We fashioned some chances early that put us in advantageous positions,” women’s interim coach Greg Velasquez said.

The team finished the rest of the game off with three more goals, senior midfielder Mollie McMahon and sophomore midfielders Katherine Bird and Natalie Erhardt shooting. Sophomore defender Corie Peterson also kept the momentum up with her two assists in the second half.

The second match win in the Iowa Conference for Simpson makes up for the first loss against Wartburg in September.

Simpson’s men’s soccer kept the Saturday a victorious one, racking up their fifth win this season as well.

“It was an interesting game,” freshman forward Mark Lahart said. “Everyone played their hardest, and I guess it showed.”

The first goal came in the last minutes of the first half with a skillfully done header off a corner kick by junior defender Mike Miller.

Junior forward Lucas Haack then added to the scoreboard in the second half with an unassisted goal made off a rebound on a shot off crossbar.

The win for the Storm was the first Iowa Conference match, putting them off to a good start.

Next up for Simpson is a doubleheader Wednesday night against Central College. The women’s match begins at 5 p.m. and the men’s at 7.