Simpson’s favorite ghost enters the information age

by Steve LovittStaff Writer

Mildred Hedges was born April 13, 1913 and was a student at Simpson College during the 1930s. She was born in Scranton, Iowa and after graduating high school she attended Simpson College.

One day while she was coming out of one of her classes on the top floor of College Hall she fell over the railing of the stairs to her death. Ever since Simpson is said to be one of the most haunted places in Iowa, because as the story goes, Mildred never left Simpson.

Recently, Mildred tried to expand her social life at Simpson by creating her very own Facebook profile. If you add her as a friend you will most likely get a friendly response. There are a few pictures on her profile but not many because there weren’t a lot of pictures taken back then.

I had the opportunity of receiving an e-mail back from Mildred agreeing to do an interview. Mildred said that getting access to the Internet is pretty easy.

“I am sure you are aware, Simpson has gone wireless,” Mildred said. “This allows me access anywhere, at any time.”

After feeling a little out-smarted by a ghost I asked her how she typed, being a ghost and all.

“I type just as anyone else would,” Mildred said. “I have two hands, and ten fingers. Did you think I was a blob of air?”

Now feeling very awkward, I wondered what she did in her spare time besides go on Facebook and haunting College Hall.

“In my spare time, I like to visit many places around campus to ‘people watch,'” Mildred said. “One of my favorite places to visit is the Pi Phi house. I am not sure if you are aware, but I was a Pi Beta Phi pledge during my time at Simpson. I also enjoy observing all the changes being made to campus, and I love seeing my fellow students go through their four years here.”

As much fun as she may be having on Facebook, her fellow Simpson students are not quite sure what to think. Some students feel it’s a little bit of a stretch.

“It’s just weird,” junior Steven Ramsey said. “I think someone needs to spend a little more time doing homework than making fake Facebook profiles.”

A few students may seem to think it could be interesting to be friends with a ghost on Facebook.

“I think it would be cool to read and watch her updates,” senior Sara Crouse said. “Simpson students would probably check it out.”

If you were not someone that kept up on your ghost stories, having a ghost add you on Facebook could make you a little nervous.

“How would it even create a profile?” senior Ellen Bedecarre-McNamara said. “Other than that I’m not opposed to ghosts making efforts at having a social life.”

Mildred had one more thing she wanted to reassure everyone about.

“I would just like to add, I wish for people to consider me a friend, rather than something to be afraid of. I loved my short time at Simpson as a student, and I continue to love it here. It truly is home to me.”