Doing our part for Haiti

Doing our part for Haiti

by Peter Kaspari

One week after an earthquake left the country of Haiti in ruins, the Simpson community is working hard on relief efforts for the devastated population. Already, students have put forth several efforts to raise money and other essential items for the victims of the Haitian earthquake. On Monday, during a forum honoring Martin Luther King Jr., the Multicultural Affairs Office collected donations for the American Red Cross.Students in the residence halls are also doing their part to help earthquake survivors. Freshman Kati Herr will be collecting T-shirts from Simpson students over the next month as part of a group known as “Mission Haiti.” The shirts will be converted into mats for Haitians to sleep on.Herr’s grandmother, who works with Mission Haiti, will be traveling to the country next month to teach Haitian citizens how to make their own mats. Anyone interested in donating old or unused T-shirts is encouraged to contact Herr. Herr also plans to put bins for the T-shirts in various locations around campus.In the apartments, Simpson’s community adviser staff is doing its part to make life easier for the survivors of the earthquake.”We decided we could raise some money for the victims by asking our residents if they would be willing to donate,” senior community adviser Niren Shrestha said. “Since it is against the school policy to go door-to-door and ask for donations, we decided we could just send out an e-mail to our residents in our buildings and ask them if they would like to donate.”Shrestha said the idea for asking for donations came up when it was discovered that one member of the Simpson community still has family in Haiti.”This made us realize that in one way or another we are all connected with each other and we should try to do whatever we can to help, no matter how small it might be.”Notice of the donation drive has been made via word of mouth, as well as advertising within the buildings.”I have received a few donations from some of my residents, but I am not sure how much total it is yet,” Shrestha said. “We will probably know the exact amount next week. Plus we still have this whole week to collect yet.”Shrestha said that he and the other CAs are still collecting money.”Even a dollar donation is very helpful, as $25 feeds around 160 people,” Shrestha said. “So even if everyone donates a dollar that will go a long way in helping the people in Haiti.”Shrestha said that the money collected will go to the Lutheran Church of Hope in West Des Moines. From there, Meals from the Heartland will use the money to package food to be sent to Haiti.Senior Legrand Bien-Aime was born and raised in Haiti and still has family living there.”There’s not many houses there,” Bien-Aime said. “Most people live on a farm with six or seven other people.”Bien-Aime said that since the earthquake hit, he and his family have been having difficulties reaching their family and friends who are still in Haiti. He said that it’s difficult to reach people there due to the usage of calling cards.”At least with our family, you have to know when there’s going to be a phone call,” Bien-Aime said. “My parents have gotten in touch with one person, but it’s difficult.”Although there are relief efforts for Haiti on campus, Bien-Aime said he’s unaffected by them.”I think it’s the simple fact that most people don’t know there’s a Haitian on campus,” Bien-Aime said. “It feels like there’s no support.”As for himself, Bien-Aime said although it’s difficult for him and his family to send aid, they are working hard to get assistance to their friends and family.”We’re doing the best we can,” Bien-Aime said. “Every month, we send clothes and food to family and friends.”Bien-Aime said that it’s unfortunate that it takes a tragedy for people to help a country that needs assistance.”It makes me wonder what needs to happen to help another country,” Bien-Aime said. “What can we do? We just sit and take it all in.”