Council candidates sound off

by Sylvia Koss

Eric Mathieu – Ward three candidate

What do you bring to the City Council and the City of Indianola?

I bring a successful business background, an open mind and a fresh perspective. I’ve served on both the Park and Rec Commission and the Indianola Softball Association.

Why should Simpson students specifically vote for you?

I bring to the students a fresh perspective. I understand the importance of partnering with our business leaders (current & prospective). I want to ensure that our community continues to grow with and around Simpson College.

What do you believe is the biggest issue in Indianola right now?

As Indianola continues to grow we need to partner with our current and prospective business leaders in our community. In addition, I want to ensure that we have proactive approach in planning and that our business leaders along with our residents feel that their opinion matters.

Why do you want to be on the City Council?

I want to bring a fresh perspective to city government and Indianola as a whole.

I feel that I’ve been exposed to components of city government in the boards that I’ve served on and I want to continue to expand my knowledge.

Mark Vickroy – Incumbant at large candidate

I bring leadership and experience to the City of Indianola and the City Council. I am currently serving in my third term as an at-large City Council representative, and I serve on the Dangerous and Dilapidated committee, which looks at ways to purchase older, run-down properties for re-development. I am also one of the Council representatives on the board of directors for the Indianola Development Association (IDA), serving as treasurer.

Simpson students should vote for me because I thoroughly understand what a vital part of the community they are. Having worked closely with several students on the Wellness Center campaign, I know how important their voices and opinions are. IDA also has two students serving as interns.

I believe that the biggest issue facing Indianola right now is getting citizens more involved in their government. With busy lives, quite often our citizens and students are not aware of what the city is doing on a daily basis. City government needs to strive to find ways to engage citizens in what is going on around them on a daily basis. Six council members are elected to be the voice of the people of Indianola, but input from those people shouldn’t end on the day at the voting booth. We want and need citizens to participate at all levels, and at all points in the decision making process. The people elected to City Council make decisions that affect the everyday lives of all Indianolans that will shape our city for years to come.

I would like to continue to serve on council to for two reasons – mainly, I like to be active in my community, to help the city be all that it can be for my family, and those of others.

Secondly, I would like to continue to serve the citizens of Indianola, to give back some of the knowledge and experience I’ve gained over the past 12 years. I have a willingness to make tough decisions; a desire to manage the taxpayers’ money as if it were my own; and the principles, trustworthiness and integrity to be a true representative who listens to citizens and makes decisions in terms of what is best for our city.

Greg Marchant –  At large candidate

I bring a fresh perspective, new eyes, new ears and a new voice to represent the people of Indianola. I have a B.A. in Business Administration from Simpson College and a strong business background that will help our city as we move forward. If elected, I will strive to work with those entities that can help us achieve an overall stronger community.

Simpson students should vote for me in order to change the course of actions and thought processes they have encountered with the current City Council members. I believe that Simpson students should have access and representation with the City Council. A quarterly, semi-annual or annual session that would involve Simpson student government representatives and the City Council would be a valuable inclusion in our community. Simpson students spend a minimum of three quarters of a year in Indianola, which makes them a part of the community. I’m asking and would sincerely appreciate Simpson students voting to help me gain the at large City Council seat.

I believe the biggest issue in Indianola currently is moving our economic development forward. We need to take actions and work with organizations that can help our community progress. While change is difficult for some, when we have a chance to improve our community and quality of life for our citizens, we need to strive to make that happen.

I want to be a City Council person to positively help our community move forward. I believe that the Council needs to have a fresh perspective and I will offer that to our community. I also believe that I am a person who will deliver a positive impact.

John Parker, Jr. – Ward one candidate

Having spent nine years on the Indianola School Board I have experience working with other board/council members and staff to get things accomplished for the betterment of the citizens and community.

My number one issue is to work with the council, mayor and staff to develop a vision for the future growth of Indianola that is clear and understandable to all members of the community. I view Simpson students as members of the community and an integral part of that future growth.

As a life-long resident of Indianola I want work to keep Indianola a quality place to live and raise a family.

Randy L. Gathers – Incumbant ward one candidate

Local Resident for the past 19 years, Council Member for last 10 years, Board member of Warren Co Economic Development, Local Business Owner for 18 years

With Simpson College being an intregal part of this community, I believe that the City of Indianola has to play an active role in being a good partner to Simpson college.

Continuing Economic Development.

To be an active member in the community.

Shirley J Clark – Incumbent ward three candidate

I am a live long resident of Indianola. I have experience on the council and over my time on council I have worked to bring new ideas and technology solutions to providing communication to the residents of Indianola. I have served on several committees and boards adn am active in the community. I believe that I research issues that are before us and theat I make sure that I have the facts before making decisions.

Simpson is an important part of Indianola. The quality of education that is provides is second to none. It is important that Simpson and the city of Indianola work togenther for the betterment of both. I believe that students should vote for me because I will work to find a common ground for complex problems that face us today and in the future.

The economic vitality of Indianola is important and as a council member I have worked to see that we continue to support commercial growth. We have made great strides in growth. I want to see that this continues.

I believe that individuals can make a difference. I want to continue to bring new ideas. I bring experience, I am informed and I am dedicated. I have always felt that as a council person I am a representative of those in my ward, but, also those throughout the city. I bring forward thinking prosess with my background as a system analyst. As someone who has been involved with technology and software my skills include forecasting and direction. I am involved with both economic development boards in Warren County and I have a good working relationship with those board members.