Campus Day Kickoff, a first in Simpson’s longest tradition

by Keith McCarthy

Faculty and students helped clean up the Simpson College campus as they celebrated its123rd Campus Day last Wednesday, April 4.

Campus Day activities began the night prior with Bingo sponsored by the Religious Life Community (RLC) and Environmental Awareness Club (EAC).

Simpson also hosted its inaugural Campus Day Kickoff, which included Lazer Tag, an inflatable bounce house and music.

“The kickoff didn’t go as we planned, numbers were kind of low,” junior Ryan Lane said. “I think that has to do with it being the first time. If Simpson continues to do the kickoff I’m sure the numbers will grow.”

Lane, as well as Simpson alum and Sarah Harl, assistant director of student activities, served as the leads on the Campus Day Committee.

Student Government Association (SGA) appointed the committee to help students plan events and to help facilitate students on the day off.

As usual, the day began with a grill out lunch in Cowles Field house.

It was here where students learned what there project was for the day and grabbed a bit to eat before they headed out to work.

Unlike in previous years, this year’s projects kept students around campus cleaning up instead of going to help in Indianola and surrounding areas.

“With all the construction going on campus we figured that the service projects should be focused on-campus, ”Harl said. “This was just a unique year, the grounds crew on campus really needed our help and they greatly appreciate what participants are doing.”

Some groups however, such as the members of Sigma Alpha Epilson who participated in a highway cleanup did make it off campus.

While not far off campus, the volleyball team was given the task of mulching Simpson College President John Byrd’s house.

The football team had the opportunity to go out to Wesley Woods and help clear brush and pick up around the camp and retreat area.

Sophomore Clay Finely seemed excited about getting out into the community and helping.

“People helping people, it’s powerful stuff,” Finely said. “This was my first time participating in Campus Day. It was very rewarding to help out like we did and it is the least we could have done.”

Most other volunteers spent time raking yards, picking up brush or mulching flower beds around campus.

Areas of focus were around the dormitories and around the academic buildings.

Students also spent time sprucing up the landscaping that was installed across campus this summer.

“It was really surprising how much garbage was actually on the ground,” freshman Dylan Kramer said. “It was an eye opener for sure. It made me realize how necessary it is to keep our campus and community clean.”

Greek Life community was out in full force with all houses volunteering around campus.

Alpha Tao Omega and Kappa Theta Psi spent time cleaning around the baseball parking lot and tennis courts, as well as the theme houses that are located by the intramural fields.

Kappa Kappa Gamma spent their time cleaning up around Carver Science Hall and, as previously mentioned Sigma Alpha Epsilon did a high way cleanup off campus.

Pi Beta Phi cleaned up fraternity row by adding mulch to existing flower bed, raking up leaves, picking up debris, and cleaning up the practice soccer field that sits behind the row.

“I had no idea about Campus Day until about a week ago,” freshman Caitlin Dicus said. “It was nice to get out and help but, we ran out of work quick. On the positive, I got to spend a lot of quality time with my sisters.”

With another year behind it Campus Day remains Simpson’s oldest tradition and with the addition of the kickoff, it is clear the college is only trying to improve it.