Our View: Students should get involved on campus

It’s no secret that Simpson College prides itself in its extracurricular activities.

Does anyone else remember the pitch, “Come to Simpson, you can do pretty much anything you want to do for extracurricular,” when looking for schools?

In fact, on the Simpson website, there’s red and gold pride oozing on the “Quick Facts” page.

We have a whopping 84 percent of students involved in some sort of extracurricular activity.

Further, Newsweek named Simpson as a “do-gooder school” in 2010.

With the extra emphasis and promotion on service and extracurricular activities, it’s no surprise that in one week on campus, we were bombarded with zombies, a drag show and Campus Day.

If that doesn’t show diversity (of some sort), what else will?

Within the next week, we have the Undergraduate Research Symposium, a chorale concert, a band concert, two softball home games and Honors Convocation.

This doesn’t count the Pre-Law Society meetings, Student Government Association meetings, Fellow Christian Athletes, Quench, Environmental Awareness Club and all the other organizations that are available to students on campus.

So, we urge you to keep reading. At least get to pages six and seven—you don’t even have to read there.

Look at the pictures and see the hard work that your classmates, faculty, staff and administration have put in over the last week or two.

Once you see the fun they’re having, we hope you’ll be encouraged to get involved.