Homecoming Security Woes: Two students arrested following confrontations with Indianola police over homecoming weekend.

by Amanda Hintgen

Casey Young, 21, was arrested and pepper sprayed twice by an Indianola police officer on Saturday, Oct. 20 after fighting with family members, according to a police report.

Just after 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 20, police were notified of a fight in progress in the 400 block of North C Street. After arriving, Officer Rick Largesse found Justin Perry, 21, bleeding from a cut on his right eyebrow.

Perry told the officer that Young had punched him. The officer then saw Young and Jon Young, Casey’s father, in an argument on the sidewalk. The officer saw Casey Young punch his father in the face.

When Largesse asked Casey Young to put his hands behind his back to be restrained, he refused multiple times, according to the police report. The officer pepper sprayed Young, who still refused to be placed in the restraints

Largesse pepper sprayed

Amidst the celebrations of Simpson’s homecoming, two students were arrested after reportedly refusing to listen to police orders.

Largesse pepper sprayed

Young a second time, and was able to put him in the restraints. Indianola EMS was called immediately to ensure Young’s safety, and he was allowed out of the restraints in order to remove his contacts.

Young was charged with interference with official acts and disorderly conduct, and was transported to Warren County Jail. Young was believed to have been consuming alcohol prior to the incident, according to the report.

Marc Thurman, 38, was arrested and tasered by an officer on Sunday, Oct. 21 in an incident around 2 a.m. that began at an Indianola bar.

Officers were dispatched to a house at 800 N. Buxton Street at 1:55 a.m. on a report of an intoxicated male subject armed with a knife and refusing to drop the weapon. The house is off-campus and not owned by the college, but is currently rented by a group of students.

According to the police report, Thurman began to follow a 22-year-old woman on her walk home from an Indianola bar. The woman asked Thurman to stop following her during the walk, and once she arrived at the house, he was told he needed to leave the property.

Officers arrived at the scene and Largesse held Thurman at gunpoint on the sidewalk. Thurman was holding a knife, which had a three-inch blade, behind his back and refused the officer’s orders to drop the weapon.

After Thurman refused multiple orders to put the knife on the ground Officer Robert Hawkins approached him from behind and fired his Taser, striking Thurman’s back. Thurman fell backwards to the ground and was placed in hand restraints.

During the incident, Thurman never threatened anyone with the knife, according to the police report. Once restrained, he told police he had drank too much while celebrating Simpson’s homecoming.

Thurman was charged with public intoxication and interference with official acts, and was transported to Warren County Jail.

Young is a member of the class of 2013, while Thurman is a member of the class of 2014, according to the Simpson student directory.

Chris Frerichs, Simpson’s director of security, said his office is investigating both incidents. He declined to comment further, citing the ongoing nature of the investigations.