Basketball recap: What you missed over Thanksgiving Break

With a win over Gustavus Aldophus on Nov. 26, senior Austin Turner scored 19 points, a career high. Turner was
the top of scorer and one of four Storm players to score in double digits. (Photo: Jayde Vogeler, Photography Editor/The Simpsonian)

With a win over Gustavus Aldophus on Nov. 26, senior Austin Turner scored 19 points, a career high. Turner was the top of scorer and one of four Storm players to score in double digits. (Photo: Jayde Vogeler, Photography Editor/The Simpsonian)

by Hunter Hillygus, Sports Editor

While the majority of Simpson College was at home over Thanksgiving Break and enjoying the company of their loved ones, not to mention eating copious amounts of food, the Simpson men’s and women’s basketball teams were hard at work.

Here’s what you missed over break.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

The Simpson men’s basketball team avoided a post-Thanksgiving hangover and defeated Gustavus Adolphus 90-78 Nov. 26.

Senior point guard Austin Turner led the way for the Storm, as he poured in a career-high 19 points. The San Antonio, Texas, native was 6-for-9 from the field and 7-for-10 from the free-throw line and dished out a team-high four assists as Simpson improved to 3-1 on the year.

Four of five starters scored in double figures for the Storm. Junior Sam Amsbaugh scored 16 points to go along with seven rebounds, while senior Ryan Skaar spaced the floor with 14 points, going 4-for-7 from three. Junior Sabonis Smith pitched in 12 points as well.

Simpson shot 53 percent from the field as a team and held the Gusties to 45 percent from the floor and just 25 percent from three.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The women’s basketball team headed north for Thanksgiving Break, hitting the road to La Crosse, Wisconsin, to compete in the Holiday Inn Express Thanksgiving Classic.

womens-basketball

The Storm dropped their first game of the Classic to Wisconsin-La Crosse 68-58, despite a monster performance from junior Noreen Morrow. Morrow dropped a 22-point, 19-rebound double-double that included an ultra-efficient 10-11 from the free throw line.

Simpson held a 10-point lead late in the third quarter but was unable to build on that into the fourth. The Storm went just 1-13 in the final quarter, allowing the Eagles to go on an impressive 24-4 run that gave them their own 10-point lead and the win.

Senior Britney Boland chipped in with six points and seven rebounds of her own, while junior Ellen Gallagher scored six points off the bench as the Storm dropped to 1-2.

For the second time in less than 10 days, the Storm women squared off against an undefeated Wisconsin-Whitewater squad, and for the second time in less than 10 days, the Storm women lost to an undefeated Wisconsin-Whitewater squad, this time losing 79-50.

Wisconsin-Whitewater guard Brooke Trewyn was a problem all game long for the Storm defense, scoring 28 points on 12-20 shooting to go along with nine rebounds.

Noreen Morrow followed her impressive 22-point, 19-rebound effort versus Wisconsin-La Crosse with another solid performance against the Warhawks, scoring 17 points and collecting six rebounds.

Junior Ellen Gallagher turned in a solid 12-point, eight rebound performance. Freshman Janey Botkins was the next leading scorer with six points.

With her performance on the weekend, Morrow was named to the all-tournament team, averaging a double-double with 19.5 points per game and 12.5 rebounds per game.