He Said… She Said…

Dear Drew and Bailey,Okay. So I’m a senior and have already solidified a job after graduation. So I’m not really seeing why my grades or classes matter this last semester. How can I fight this senioritis and stay motivated before I catch it too bad and end up failing my final classes?

He Said…I have one thing to say to you my friend, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” And while I don’t know if an already stellar GPA landed you your job or if it was indeed your friendship with the boss’s daughter at an unnamed business that landed your gig, I’d like to remind you that either now or in the future, who you know is going to get you further than your ability to recite the five different response hierarchies in advertising. I’m not going to condone completely blowing off the last semester of your classes because it actually takes more work and energy than actually going to class. I’m just saying you maybe don’t need to put that 110 percent effort into your classes like you might have done when you were a freshman.Take this last semester to enjoy things that you might not have enjoyed previously.Last year, if you had a 10 a.m. test on a Friday you might have opted out on the magical night that is $9 Thursdays at the Zoo. My suggestion is put the test on the back burner and go out and have fun. In all honesty what’s going to make a better story later on? The A you got on a biology test, or the fantastic night you had tearing up the dance floor at the Zoo?While I don’t condone totally not studying, don’t be one those people who hyperventilates and freaks out when prepping. Study, but don’t stress if you don’t memorize all 30 terms you’re supposed to know. And this is something I think everyone at SimpCo. should think about. The test is going to get over and done with, and you’re going to finish the class. It is what it is. So just roll with it.Take advantage of some of the other things Simpson has to offer. Get off your butt and do something with your life if you haven’t so far. Go see a $3 movie, go to a women’s basketball game or to a comedian. You may have been here four years, but there are probably plenty of people you haven’t met yet.I’m in the same boat as you my friend. I know how hard it is to motivate yourself to go to class, especially as the days creep closer and closer to May 22. But don’t give up now. Just think of class as another networking opportunity. You never know what a professor may know about an even better job opportunity that they could help you land.And in the words of Red Green:Hang in there my friend, we’re all in this together.

She Said…Well, you are one step ahead of me. It’s pretty safe to say we seniors are all in the same boat right about now, but at least you’ve got a job lined up! Some of us, Bailey and Drew included, still haven’t a clue what we are going to do after that beautiful event called graduation.That diploma may only seem like a piece of paper, and you may already have a job lined up, but if one semester of failing grades is enough to keep you from graduating or extremely affect your GPA, there is nothing stopping the company that hired you from rescinding their offer. How embarrassing would that be?If you did what I did, and saved one of those silly little cornerstones for your last semester of college, the knowledge that you’re required to demonstrate to pass it to get out of here should provide plenty of motivation. If not, just remember that piece of paper is probably worth around $40,000 – $50,000. Do you really want to throw that all away on one semester of slacking? I know I can’t afford that.If that doesn’t apply to you, and you aren’t trying to get into grad or law school, I have no other source of motivation than sheer pride. No one wants to admit they failed a semester of college. Hey—it happens, but it isn’t an ideal situation. So if you’re ready to get the hell outta Dodge, but don’t want to fail, then follow my motto: Work hard, play harder.Since you haven’t got any scholarly motivation to speak of, I suggest looking outside the academic world for it. Show up to class as much as possible so that you don’t fail according to the attendance policy, and study for your tests. Just remind yourself that if you get your homework done and cram for the big exams, you can go to all those concerts during the week, or go out three nights in a row. Or maybe even four.Reward yourself for all of your hard work by taking full advantage of your last semester of being a young, irresponsible college student. Like Tom Petty said, “The work never ends, but college does.” As excited as we all are to move on with our lives, the real world is lurking around the corner threatening to rain on our parade with the nine-to-five routine. Why not go out with a bang?Don’t get me wrong, I worry about grades as much as the next book nerd, but I also know we all need a little sweet relief from the stress by the time the weekend rolls around. So you go out a little more than usual and maybe even spend a little more money. This is your last chance to rely on loans and elect to sleep in until 2 p.m. twice a week. Don’t miss it just because of that tenth of a grade point on your cumulative score. Do what you need to do to pass and get a little crazy while you still can.