Swimmers make a splash in dual action

by Dana Lain/Staff Writer

This year’s swim team has been working hard to achieve their goals by winning meets, becoming more efficient swimmers and unifying their team. “At the beginning of the season, we set a goal to win two duals, and we have exceeded that expectation which was a great feeling,” sophomore and team captain Lauren Frodyma said.Practicing six days a week the Simpson swim team is working diligently to accomplish their goals. “The meets that we have attended have been great competition, but difficult ones,” freshman Conor Fair, of Maple Grove, Minn., said.With 10 meets under their belts the men and women swimmers have only one meet before the Liberal Arts Championship. Several of the women swimmers have unfortunately been dealing with shoulder injuries.”Everyone is really stepping up to the plate,” freshman Anna Aldridge of Indianola said. “Practices are getting harder and muscles are getting sorer, but many of the swimmers continue to try their best to improve their times.” Aldridge is one of the swimmers who must sit out this season due to a shoulder injury. She hopes to be back in the water as soon as next season. “Both of the teams definitely have gotten together to cheer each other during meets and practices,” Fair said. “This helps each one of us work to the best of our abilities.”As for the men, they are working harder than ever to improve on their times and finish out the season within the next couple of weeks. “Three of our four newcomers are freshmen boys and they are setting a great example for the start of our varsity men’s swim program,” Frodyma said.The women’s team has a record for the most dual wins set on Jan. 30, but Frodyma, of Council Bluffs, says there are still things to improve on. “I think the team can still work on being even more in sync,” Frodyma said. “There are still many things that we need to work on before the Liberal Arts Championships from Feb. 18-20.”With all the swimmers working 16 hours a week, freshman Keely Goshia of Mead, Colo., has been praised by several of her fellow swimmers. She has been a four-year letter winner and a four-time qualifier for the high school state swim meet. Despite working through a loss in participants, the women’s and men’s teams have much to look forward to in the coming weeks. One of the goals they have set is to go to nationals. Whether they personally challenge themselves to overcoming injuries, swimming the 500-meter in six minutes or beating previous high school records, the Simpson swim teams are working harder than ever.”Our team goals include more support for our team that has been improving over the past few meets, for our team to go to finals and swim to the best of our abilities,” Fair said.