A summer home of sorts

Classes will end soon and many students are ready to make the move back home. Some students, however, will opt to stay on campus this summer through the college’s summer housing program.

Running at a daily rate of $17 a day, students will receive all the amenities, including cable, electricity and water, without committing to a lease. Students who work on campus 24 hours a week or more will receive a discounted rate of $8.50 a day.

Luke Behaunek, director of Residence Life, said summer housing is more flexible than renting an apartment in town.

“The daily rate offers us some flexibility in regards to when students need housing,” Behaunek said. “If they only need housing for a couple months during the summer instead of the full summer or maybe just a month or whatever their needs are, as long as we have space, we can accommodate their stay more easily.”

Being a per-day rate, students who need a place in the Indianola and Des Moines area for only part of the summer don’t have to stay on campus longer than necessary. This also saves students from wasting money on a two or three month lease if they only need an apartment for a month.

Behaunek said that this year, summer housing will be set up in the Washington apartments.

“It changes depending on projects we have in housing over the summer,” Behaunek said. “It hasn’t been in Washington for a couple of years, so we decided to move it back to that building. For the past few years, it has been in Clinton apartments.”

Behaunek recommends that students get their applications in early for summer housing.

“The earlier the application is turned in the better and we will match up roommates as best as we can,” Behaunek said. “We tend to preference who turned in their application first and who is staying in the entire summer.”

Junior Luke Haack, lived in Clinton last summer. Haack advises students that if they do not get a campus job discount, they should make sure to have a good paying job over the summer.

“If you’re going to be on campus, you want a campus job, or at least a good, paying job close by otherwise it might not be worth staying on campus,” Haack said.

Sophomore Kraig Thomas lived in Clinton last year and he advises students to make sure to talk with roommates before moving in about what to bring because the time before the move is short.

“Make sure you talk about what everyone is bringing, because it’s a shorter time than the full year, especially if you haven’t lived in an apartment before,” Thomas said.

Although students should have a plan beforehand, Behaunek said that the moving into and out of the apartments is a smooth process overall.

“Students will move into summer housing the Sunday after graduation,” Behaunek said. “They’d move from their current housing assignment directly into summer housing, and then from summer housing they’d move right into their fall assignment. So there is not too much moving around, and it’s pretty smooth how that process works.